Monday, May 11, 2009

Technology Autobiography

Here is my short story about technology. In an attempt to keep this autobiography free from fiction, I may have to sacrifice pride for honesty. And, yet, there is honor in honesty, even if it bring a man low, according to my valiant Lord. In true tale, technology is more an elusive liviathan than a tamed cat. It is a beast I have yet to slay. It is a peak I have yet to crest. It is a wild mare who bears no bit. Technology is the great land for courageous lords, brave knights, and self- controlled maidens, not for squires, such as I. But, alas, it is my duty. Bring me a sword. Toss me some boots. Hand me a bit. Grant me a map. Adventures are ahead.

I cannot say that technology was a part of my family growing up. It was my friends and schools who harbored this gadgetry. As a teacher, I now have 3 computers in my room and three computer labs, one of which is a portable lab. Today's pen has turned into a less civilized and artistically lame keyboard. Nevertheless, this pen can craft Rembrandt's, even if you are a lowly Rairick. It is precisely for this purpose that technology be integrated into the classroom. In an attempt to level the educational playing field and promote educational equity, computers are an essential tool for today's learners. Although I feel a great sacrifice has been made in downplaying the role of book, pen and paper, I do feel that computer literacy is an essential 21st century tool.

Here are some of the benefits I have experienced from using and observing students using technology:
  • Quick access to facts
  • Willingness to write
  • Decrease in fear of spelling incorrectly
  • Visual world
  • Access to research
  • Interpersonal communication
  • Content obtainment
  • Content connections

Though there are many more benefits, and cautions, computers stand as a unique world-wide revolutionary resource. Homes, districts, states and nations have transformed in positive and negative ways thanks to computer. As with any great tool, it can leave a wake of construction and destruction. I've seen and experienced both. Nevertheless, computers belong in the classroom as much as the students themselves. They become the essential ingredients for learning.

Thus, as I revert back to my humble position as a mere squire, and nothing more, I can't but hope that some 'Insula, perhaps called Technology, shall become my inheritance in due time. Now, where is donkey, that great beast of burden? My Liege has beckoned me!

1 comment:

  1. You wrote, "In an attempt to level the educational playing field and promote educational equity, computers are an essential tool for today's learners." I had never thought of technology in this light. I thought to myself about the many kids where I'm from who grow up with terrible home lives, kids who never know where Mom and Dad are, or if they'll come back. All of these kids, though, whether they have running water or not, are pretty equal as far as technology is concerned. They can all do things with computers that I can't do. I think you're right; technology can provide equity to students--good thought.

    ReplyDelete