Saturday, May 23, 2009

Flickr and the Seventh Adventure

On May 14th, during my EDTP 504 Teaching with Technology class, I worked collaboratively with classmates to create a Flickr account and post some pictures there which we could use in developing a lesson. I am not sure I like Flickr yet! I love pictures and I like how pictures can promote learning, especially within science. Nevertheless, Flickr is one of many technology tools that I am now aware exists but have yet to master. Hence, my issue may not even be with Flickr as much as it is with technology as a whole. As a technology immigrant, it will take a long time to "learn the language" and yet, I feel the tension of knowing it is of great aide to teachers, but not knowing how to use it very well. This can be discouraging to foreigners.

This year I began doing something that I think could evolve into a Flickr project in years to come. Each unit, I "hired" a photographer in my room to capture high-lights of lessons, activities, labs, and daily classroom life in my science class. Then, these students printed these pictures and turned them into a poster that was hung in my room as a reminder of ALL the great things we do in science. Perhaps, as an extension to this "job" I could hire someone else to develop these pictures into a flickr project??? Hmmm!

A couple of key features that I like about Flickr are:

1. Annotating one or more portions of a photo in order to draw attention to an area of the photo or to pose questions related to specific spots on the photo.
2. Starting online discussions about a particular photo (or set of photos). This can connect students from around the world and could make great applications for a Social Studies connection or science discussion.

1 comment:

  1. I love your use of Flickr in the classroom. That seems like a great idea. Who knew a picture slideshow tool could be useful for educational purposes?

    ReplyDelete