Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Eighth Adventure: Podcasting

No, this is not some sort of primitive tool and dye making adventure about snow pea pods and casting and molding. Podcasting has been on the scene for some time. And, one classroom application is that it is "students teaching students what they've learned," says Richardson. The essence is capturing audio-only clips of students, teachers, etc. and saving them to a blog or other website for later listening. Some sample ways to use podcasting are:

  • podcasts of student artwork, explaining their piece
  • podcasts of narrating science lab procedures, results, interpretations and conclusions
  • podcasts of musical performances
  • podcasts of new teacher orientation information
  • podcasts of summative products (written turned oral narratives)
  • podcasts of research and inquiry based learning results
  • podcasts of annotated field notes on an outdoor lab day

I love story-telling! I am not remembering what it was called, but back in March on NPR, they had a science story hour every Tuesday night (I think it was Tuesday anyway). I love the concept of students telling digital audio stories, fact or fiction, that incorporate related core curriculum within the story.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think Podcasting can be useful in my classroom. I like the idea of students teaching students. I have found that learning as a student in a classroom where information is kind of thrown at you is completely different from learning information that you have to teach and explain to someone else. Learning information to teach really sticks with me, but learning just to put answers down on a test goes in and right back out of my brain.

    ReplyDelete